Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Poll Results - Outstanding Actress In A Comedy



Poll response up from last week - well it would practically have to be wouldn't it - but still nothing to write home about, unless of course you work at home anyway.

Readers of this blog have expressed their opinion about the five Emmy nominees for Best Actress in A Comedy. Felicity Huffman didn't receive a single vote for her portrayal of the harried Lynette Scavo on Desperate Housewives. Teri Hatcher, as Susan Mayer in Desperate Housewives and Patricia Heaton, as Debra Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond each grabbed one vote apiece. The winners, as expressed by the readers of this blog were Jane Kaczmarek as Lois in Malcolm In The Middle and Marcia Cross as Bree Van De Kamp from Desperate Housewives with two votes each.

I didn't cast a vote this week but if I did it would probably have been for either Teri Hatcher or Marcia Cross. As much as I like Felicity Huffman her role isn't as showy as some of the other nominees. While I basically like Jane Kaczmarek I think her show has slipped and quite frankly she's about the best thing left about the show. I'll write about Patricia Heaton in a moment. Teri Hatcher has a very showy role as Susan Mayer and she's very good at the physical comedy that her role requires. However in the end I think Marcia Cross is the best of the nominees. Cross's Bree is an amazing collection of neuroses who who is determine to ignore all of the cracks that exist in her relationships because they interfere with her notion that her life is perfectable and she's going to make it perfect dammit.

I don't expect any of them to win however. I think the winner will be Patricia Heaton, even though I never cared much for her show. She and Kaczmarek are the only ones who are repeaters in the category and unlike Kaczmarek she was in a series that hadn't slipped in terms of quality. Moreover I think that the fact that three of the five nominees are from Desperate Housewives is going to hurt the actors from that show. Conventional wisdom seems to be that the vote will split between the three. Of course conventional wisdom doesn't seem to operate in the writing and direction categories where shows can have multiple nominations and usually win. However Heaton has the "advantage" that she was on a show that has gone off the air and went off the air on top. All things considered, I think she's the one to beat.

I'll probably set up the Outstanding Actor In A Comedy poll in the morning.

No comments: