Tuesday, February 08, 2005

So Why Do I Think I Know Anything?

I grew up with television in my life. Indeed, in the city where I live television and I are almost exact contemporaries. When I was born in August 1956, the one local TV station had been in operation for just over a year and a half. Television as a mass medium in Canada had only existed for four years. Colour television would only appear in Canada nine years after I was born, and it didn't become the choice for another five years. I remember when the second station opened in Saskatoon in the early 1970s, when cable appeared later the same decade, and when the third station opened in the mid-1980s.

As far as shows go, I can't say that I've seen them all - you don't in a one channel town that doesn't have cable - but I have seen a lot of the memorable ones when they first appeared. I remember seeing and hating Doctor Who in 1964 (the hatred was largely because the show had replaced The Bugs Bunny Show - never get between a kid and his cartoons). I remember when westerns and private eye shows dominated the airwaves. My oldest memories are of watching television. In other words I'm an Old Fart.

What this Old Fart brings to the table is summed up in the description I gave to this blog - "I know what I like" and I like television. I don't like all of the shows and will say so which makes me a critic in the same way that it makes all of us critics. And in the end why shouldn't I have a blog that lets me be a critic. For that matter why shouldn't you?

4 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Well, I certainly respect the opinion of a man who will defend to his death The Bugs Bunny Show. Good luck on the blog, Brent!

(Edited from a previous comment in which I called him "Bruce." Why? I haven't a clue; brain farts are common in men of my particular vintage. For what it's worth, I got it right on my own blog.

TAS said...

I'll piggy-back on Ivan's best wishes for your blog, Brent. And if you don't mind, I'll take the liberty of adding this to my own blogroll.

Good luck!

Brent McKee said...

Thank you both. I really am honoured and hope I can live up to the standards you guys set. And Tom, one day I will get the guts to post some pictures here.