Thursday, July 17, 2008

Poll Results - Which Of The New CW Shows Sounds Most Promising?

Apologies for not posting more often but it's the summer and there's not much to post about... or not much that I can motivate myself to post about. I haven't seen the first episode of Flashpoint yet so I may well wait until the second episode to write about this show. From the little I've seen it looks very good. Also, in a fit of insanity I've signed up for a Twitter account. I'm BrentMcKee – highly original I know. I don't know how much you'll get out of this; past experience has proven I'm no Leo Laporte when it comes to stuff like this. I also have a Facebook page that I haven't done much with.

Turning to the subject at hand, the new CW shows. There were seven voters. In a tie for last with no votes are 90210, Privilege, Stylista, Surviving Suburbia, Valentine Inc., and Easy Money with no votes. In second place with one vote (14%) is In Harm's Way, but the big winner, with six votes (86%) is "They all sound like a big steaming pile of poo."

Of course this isn't a scientifically valid survey. Only the people who are motivated to vote do vote, and there hasn't been a lot to draw people here of late. Still, I think that the seven of you who voted pretty much got it right. Most of these shows do sound like a big steaming pile of poo. I might take a look at Privilege because I've been a fan of Joanna Garcia since she was on Reba, but I never watched the original Beverly Hills 90210 so why should I watch "the next generation." I will confess that the Sunday night offering In Harm's Way seems interesting but I'm not sure it will pry me away from just about anything else on Sunday nights.

In all honesty I don't know what to do with The CW as a network. It's not that they don't have good shows – Reaper, Supernatural, Everybody Hates Chris – but I don't think that The CW as an entity has never really gotten traction. In this at least the whole is less than the sum of its parts, those parts being the old WB network and (to a lesser extent) UPN, and I for one don't know how to turn it around.

I'll post general thoughts on the Emmy nominations later today and then work out a schedule for my Emmy polls which will likely start tomorrow.

No comments: