Sunday, August 07, 2005

Poll Results - Outstanding Actress In A Drama



This category turned out to be a bit surprising. We had 17 votes, which is a record for this blog, although of course it's not a scientifically valid survey.

The results are as follows. In fifth place is Glenn Close from
The Shield with no (0) votes. In fourth place is Alias star Jennifer Garner with two votes, about 11% of those cast. In a tie for second place are Patricia Arquette in Medium and Frances Conroy from Six Feet Under each with three votes, roughly 17% support. But with an overwhelming nine votes or 52% is Mariska Hargitay from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Here's the surprising thing: seven of those votes came in the first day that the poll was in the field.

About the only performance that I've seen this season is Patricia Arquette's work in
Medium. I think she's pretty good in the role of a woman who doesn't really understand the powers she has. That said I don't think that she's as good as any of the other performers in this category. I've seen Conroy in the first season of Six Feet Under and while she's excellent I don't know that the role -then at least - was much more than a supporting part. The Shield episodes that Glenn Close has appeared in haven't been seen in Canada yet - the show runs at the whim of Canwest-Global, but let's face it, she's Glenn Close. I don't watch Alias or Law & Order: Special Victims Unit but in the case of the later, I think it is significant that Hargitay is the only person from the entire Law & Order franchise to get nominated for acting although there are two nominees in the Guest Actress in a Drama Category. That has to mean something. If I have to handicap this - and I am handicapped at handicapping in this case - I'd say it comes down to Glenn Close or Mariska Hargitay. New poll sometime in the next 24 hours (I'll be away from the computer most of tomorrow morning and afternoon).

No comments: